Established on February 8, and 16, 1859, Douglas County is named after Stephen A. Douglas, an eminent lawyer, brilliant political orator, Secretary of State (1840), Representative in Congress (1843-1847), United States Senator (1847-1861), and candidate for the Presidency in 1860.
James E Crane received his B.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois in 1996. While attending the U. of I. he worked for IDOT District 5 in the Cooperative Engineering Program. He was a Project Engineer with the Indiana Department of Transportation Laporte District from 1996 to 1999. He Then entered the private sector and was employed as a Project Engineer for Chastain & Associates, Decatur and Daily & Associates, Champaign. James was appointed Douglas County Engineer in October of 2002.
- County Population: 19448
- Land Area (Sq. Miles) 413
- Assessed Valuation: 259605251
- State Highway Mileage: 103
- County Highway Mileage: 102
- Township Highway Mileage: 639
- Municipal Highway Mileage: 107
- County Seat: Tuscola
- State House District(s): 102
- State Senate District(s): 51
- U.S. Congressional District(s): 15